Tuesday, August 15, 2017

And I Always Will


I'm not sure where this song begins
in fact I'm not sure where it ends
in my heart, a melody softly spins
my inner thoughts twist and bend

In a dream,  I met you so long ago
two lost souls in the silence of night
weeping in sorrow we said, "hello"
praying for wings to give us flight

In a vast universe you are my star
helping me through darkest times
singing the blues, strumming a guitar
poetic songs,  a melancholy chime

and I love you so
and I always will
admiring you from afar

I'm not sure where this song begins
in fact I'm not sure where it ends
in my heart, a melody softly spins
my inner thoughts twist and bend

In a dream, I saw you rise and fall
the journey has not been easy, I know
you're larger than life, I am small
I guess that is how the story goes

In a vast universe you are my star
helping me through darkest times
singing the blues, strumming a guitar
poetic songs, a melancholy chime

and I love you so
and I always will
admiring you from afar



posted for dVerse
Hosted by Mish - Today for Poetics, She is asking us to choose some lyrics, preferably one line from a favorite song and grow our  own poem from it.

In honor of Elvis Presley - 40 years since his death - The Rock and Roll King
My song choice - And I love You So 

Thanks for visiting 

 

16 comments:

  1. I love the conversational flow that this has yet it is equally lyrical. Your voice comes through crystal clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice song by Elvis. It has been 40 years since his death? I liked the line: "you're larger than life, I am small"--outwardly directed love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today 8/16 marks the anniversary of his death

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful, nostalgic, poignant. And i cant believe 40 years went by so fast. Whoosh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! We should all be so lucky to find our star in the vast universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is how music should be. A comfort and a friend - it's never the music dying despite what's sung in American Pie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww.. </3 Heartbreakingly beautiful. Love both song and your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catching that star sure can make life a wonder. Giving Elvis a go sure is a win too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the song and I love your poem. A true comfort this is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gift of music continues to give from beyond the stars and this is a beautiful poem xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The second stanza pulled me up. This is so true and truly well-crafted. The rest of the poem is beautiful, but this is the diamond flash for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Touching tribute. I like the tone of this poem, reflects the song perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice tribute. I posted my favorite song by The King on Google +. It is: Can't Help Falling In Love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A tender tribute to the King and his music and its impact on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Truedessa! I didn't realize this poem was a tribute to Elvis when I read it for the first time. I saw it as a beautiful poem about remembering lost and unrequited love. It reminded me of a bittersweet time in my young life when I was very much in love with someone who didn't love me. He was larger than life to me, but he fell very far when I came to my senses and saw his feet of clay. The Elvis tribute is wonderful and touching, but I'll stick with my original meaning, because that's how the poem speaks most powerfully to me. Ironically my lost love really did help me through some dark times, and he did play a guitar and sing. Fortunately I ended up with the best love of all, but you never forget the poignancy of a bittersweet long ago love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard a lot of Elvis songs (one of my mom's favorites). I have never heard this song though! Good job with the writing prompt.

    ReplyDelete