Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Elegy for a Friend

Free Tree Tulipwood photo and picture
Courtesy of Pixabay

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I want to thank you for sharing a piece of your world
walking amongst the pine, tulip and catalpa trees
you were always at ease in the arms of nature
ancestor to the ancient beekeepers and friend
to turtles always moving at your own pace….

I want to thank you for sharing your family and home
inviting me to visit and communing with the forest
you were always at ease in your tower in the woods
climbing one ladder rung at a time high in the treetops
listening to birdsong taking in the scenic view…

My heart grieves that you are no longer here
but, I know you are never really gone just transformed
I will think of you when a bee hums around my head
or a turtle crosses my path…or when I stand under
a willow tree…

I will drum you a song…and ask creator to carry it
with the wind to the sky world...

Sharing with What's Going On
hosted by Sherry writing an Elegy

author's note: This was written for a friend.
I wish his family peace and comfort.

10 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 17, 2024

    How beautiful. What a wonderful memorium. Condolences.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gone, but transformed. What a beautiful way to remember a friend, when you see a turtle or stand under a willow tree....I hope somewhere that friend hears the beat of your drum and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the elevated thoughts in this moving elegy, Truedessa. There is deep sadness as well as peace and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully written and so heat felt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for the loss of your friend, Truedessa. May your memories of him sustain you. And I wish many turtles to cross your path!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "you were always at ease in the arms of nature
    ancestor to the ancient beekeepers and friend
    to turtles"
    How appropriate to remember just like that. What an amazing friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. I needed this poem today. My heart the past few weeks has been heavy in my journey of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry! Your friend would've love that tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful elegy that made us see what you loved and enjoyed in your friend, and how his memory lives on in the things he loved. May you be comforted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely memories - i'm sorry for your loss

    ReplyDelete