Sunday, November 18, 2018

Rings of Time


courtesy of Pixabay


 Life started as a seed 
 hoping that you would take root
 & grow into a magnificent tree

In your early years growing
rapidly with the help of
spring and summer rains
and the warmth of the sun

One day there was a storm
lightning cracked , thunder roared
and a heavy tree fell
it's weight against your trunk
you had to fight hard to
build up your weaken side

In time you grew tall and straight
but, the neighborhood became
crowded and there was little
water and sunshine for
all to thrive...

Suddenly, one day a stranger
wandered in the woods with
his axe he trimmed down the
neighboring woodlands.  The
tree became sad and watched
the neighborhood decline

But, once again the tree
was  able to obtain ample
nourishment and sunlight
and the tree grew to new
heights for many years

Then, a terrible day came
the sky became smoky grey
fire breathed through the
forest.

The tree trembled in fear
and prayed to the heavens
for rain...

" save me", the tree cried

and so it was, the tree was spared
 still carrying the scars under
newly formed wood.

The tree survived many dry
spells and harsh winters
made her fragile limbs break

Today, the tree towers
the forest and her crown
seems to touch the sky

The tree's age is a secret
hidden underneath thick bark
rings of life,  tell an amazing
story...

May the tree live for many
generations to come gifting
the world with clean air,
a home for nature's animals
and harmony for it's people

author's note:  I missed Poets United
Midweek Motif - Ode to Age
This story of a tree kept
whispering in my ear
So many trees have
been lost by the recent
fires.

Thank you for reading
Have a wonderful day!
This is a rough draft
but, I think it has
potential

32 comments:

  1. This is one of the most beautiful poems I have read about trees....I echo your words and pray for our trees. We are lost without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna for your kind words. I agree we need to save our trees.

      Delete
  2. I have always been fascinated by tree rings and the story that they tell (it's rather magical, isn't it) but this is the first poem, that I can recall, where someone has written to that … and done so beautifully.

    A very timely piece. Every year the toll on our forests, from fires arising out of global warming, becomes more devastating. Pray for our trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy, I do agree there is so much we can learn from the rings. I have always been fascinated with the reading of these rings.

      Delete
  3. May heavenly rains hear the prayer of every tree, and poor their protection over them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a novel in a tiny space--when the fire came I shuddered and was glad that the tree continued. Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I call it a story/poem and I too shuddered when the fire came.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful poem of the resilience and strength of trees. I do feel they tremble and feel fear when they are threatened by chainsaws and fire.........they thirst in drought and their lives are saved when the rains come. I am feeling this so keenly with the forest firs down south - and with the trees right in my apartment complex's yard being chopped down mercilessly by the new manager. Tofino is a village, its beauty in its forests, yet development means more and more of the forest is disappearing - in microcosm this is what is happening world-wide. What people forget is that trees make it possible for us to breathe, and the more of them that disappear, the hotter the climate becomes. Sometimes it is hard to know what we know, and to see humankind is terribly slow at waking up and changing its ways. My heart breaks for the wild things - both trees and animals - that are suffering now. Beautifully written, Truedessa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry,

      I know that you feel the songs and cries of the forest. You have a deep connection to the trees and nature. I too weep for our world.

      Delete
  6. rings of life tell am amazing story... love that.. if only we could appreciate and conserve the trees...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This would make a great children's book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm that might be something to look into..Thanks Colleen!

      Delete
  8. This ode to the trees and their resilience, their strength and their marvelous beauty is wonderful — I love how you took us through the life of this tree from its germination and its struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sure push through and keep us alive, if only more realized that. Always thought their rings were neat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need trees if we are to sustain life. It’s amazing how they can analyze the life of a tree trough the rings

      Delete
  10. Yes, this definitely has potential! In fact I think it's pretty good as it is. I love trees, and loved this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, I valvue what you think.

      Delete
  11. How durable trees can be. Great tree story Trudessa. Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday this week

    Much🖤love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a tree that is allowed to grow and age like this... of course there are sacrifices for that to come true...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love stories about trees... the one of the really aged one especially (and it does come at the price of some sacrifices...

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are a few people I know whom I'd like to cut in half so I could find out their age by counting the rings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Silver, I am sure there is a story behind that comment.

      Delete
  15. This was beautiful, Truedessa. I dearly love trees. I saw a slice of a giant sequoia tree displayed at the Natural History Museum in London some years ago. It had lived 1,300 years. Your poem immediately reminded me of that magnificent tree. I read recently that planting trees worldwide would help mitigate climate change, perhaps more than anything else we humans could do. I was watching trees one day during science in grade nine. I asked my science teacher if he thought trees could communicate. I can still hear his laugh. If he were alive today, he would be amazed at all the things we've learned that trees can do, including communicating. Have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If only trees could talk, the stories they could tell us. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete