Saturday, April 6, 2019

Lonely Road


courtesy of pixabay


driving down a lonely road
searching for signs to turn this life around
need to make some tracks on solid ground
this heart of mine has been carrying a heavy load

I've got the late night blues
singing a song, feeling confused 

driving down a dead end road
need to put on the brakes before it's too late
find my way back to the nearest interstate
driving fast and free, talkin' to you in secret code

 GPS, recalculating, recalculating, recalculating
my head is spinning, trying to find the road to you
seems destiny is a vast unknown, lost without a clue
my hands are sweating, my heart is palpitating

Maybe, I need to call it a night, 
call it a night,
   call it a night
signs will be clearer in the morning light
light, light, light

On the radio, Coast to Coast talking about dreams
I'm in the fast lane, chasing lost  pieces of my own
searching for signs through the headlight beams
I've traveled too far, too damn late to postpone

I've got the late night blues
singing a song, feeling confused 

looking at the time, I wanna call your cell phone
how to reach you, your number is out of sight
driving in the night, I've never felt so alone
I wonder if we'll ever truly get it right

driving down a lonely road
searching for signs to turn this life around
need to make some tracks on solid ground
this heart of mine has been carrying a heavy load

Maybe, I need to call it a night, 
call it a night,
   call it a night
signs will be clearer in the morning light
light, light, light

author's note: A work in progress - thanks for reading
I've been sick and listening to some late night radio
and this was birthed. I guess when you sleep all
day you are restless in the night.

29 comments:

  1. Oh my friend, I feel you on that lonely road, chasing lost pieces of your dreams. Sometimes the road does not go in the direction we had hoped. But it is always going the right way. Sometimes, we have to let the soul follow, in trust, and see what the path is bringing to us. A very beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words of wisdom my friend. Thank you

      Delete
  2. Alone and possibly on the wrong road. Like the part about recalculating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe all roads eventually lead to the right destination, in between you just get caught on a detour ot two? It’s about the full journey in some ways.

      Delete
  3. Hi Truedessa, I am really sorry to hear that you have been sick I hope you are on the road to recovery. I was thinking that this sounds like a song that could be sung in a country western bar. I can feel it deeply.

    (You had said in my blog that you hoped I was well. Yes, I am indeed well. The reason you didn't 'see' me the past two weeks was because I was traveling out of country! Nice to feel that you noticed I wasn't around.)

    Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you are doing well. Thanks for visiting and letting me know.

      I think it sounds like a beer drinking/whiskey type song. Thanks for hearing the melody.

      Delete
  4. Very nice! And by the way, I think the invention of the GPS robbed the driving experience of a lot of its fun. I refuse to own one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - Do you take maps just in case? Sometimes a wrong turn can lead to an adventure.

      Seriously navigation is fairly new. What did everyone do before it was a common feature in a car? I take a fold out map with me just in case. I once went over the border to Canada and my GPS gave out.

      Delete
  5. I love it, True. I LOVE it. Now, tell me about your secret code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blue

      Thank you, tell me how are you?

      Delete
  6. Sounds like this song needs a tune to go with it. Fine on its own as well, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tune is my head happily looping...

      Delete
  7. i tasted the sadness and the plea to be found here. the weaving of the song is so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your late night song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, my mind likes to wander unknown roads..

      Delete
  9. This is so heart-stirring .. sometimes we lose our way before reaching the destination ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, I think its a learning curve of some sorts.

      Delete
  10. I like how you described this lonely, late night feeling as trying to communicate with secret code to someone where GPS and the phone aren't working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, one needs to figure out that code..thanks for hosting tonight.

      Delete
  11. This has the making of an award-winning country song. Take it to Nashville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - thanks for that boost of confidence Bev...

      Delete
  12. I can almost hear the music. Nice

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a vivid image of being lost in the fast lane at night... the music of the poem is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bjorn birthed out of restlessness

      Delete
  14. This begs to be put to music!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great. I knew it, at one time.

    ReplyDelete