Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Surprise, The Storm has Arrived

Henri Rousseau, Tiger in a Tropical Storm (Surprised!) (1891), oil on canvas

In the light of truth and painting
finding words becomes difficult
to convey what I feel pondering
a faraway storm 

lightning streaks across the heavens
as the sky river descends on
a rich green landscape 
trees and ferns bend 

gone are monkeys and birds
leaving an eerie silence

a tiger roars out a warning
as the wind whips, fear shows
in his dilated eyes, breathing
becomes difficult

can he out run a tropical storm

written for dVerse - Light and Truth of Painting 

hosted by Melissa 

Today for Poetics, I thought we might write from a selection of Rousseau’s artwork. Choose one of the paintings in this post and let it be your muse. Additionally, use the above epitaph as a launch point to describe where the painting takes you, the viewer. 

23 comments:

  1. A nice interpretation of the painting, Truedessa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We chose the same painting, Truedessa, and I love where it took you, ‘pondering a faraway storm’, especially the contrast of the eerie silence when the monkeys and birds are gone and the tiger’s warning roar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, I read yours as well. The painting just seemed to speak to me.

      Delete
  3. A tiger is a suitable match for a storm. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me the ending!!!! Does he outrun the storm??? I love how you describe the scene within the painting. The other animals gone, in hiding...the eerie silence. Just an excellent response to the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - Maybe, we will have to see what the storm brings. Thank you for the wonderful comment.

      Delete
  5. I like that you used the outer world to perhaps convey a segment of the inner world. In these lines, “finding words becomes difficult
    to convey what I feel pondering
    a faraway storm,” I feel the sense of emotions that may not yet be sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa - Thank you for hosting. I have enjoyed reading all the poems.

      Delete
  6. I've chosen the same painting and the same angle. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay -- sometimes we poets think in the same vein.

      Delete
  7. The tiger's fear is stark, that was the feature i admired most in thst painting
    Much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gillena and I agree with your perception.

      Delete
  8. Ominous and atmospheric. I can feel the tension building...and then you leave us in suspense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mish - the painting speaks of tension ...

      Delete
  9. a tiger roars out a warning
    as the wind whips, fear shows
    in his dilated eyes,

    Love these words True! There is an element of movements that makes the poem dance to the image and colours on the canvas. Great lines!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hank, Thanks for visiting it always makes me smile. Love the element of movements and the dance.

      Delete
  10. I love the way you interpreted this, Tru!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fear is the thing I always saw in this painting, Truedessa, but I like the way you picked up on the absence of all the other animals...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fear is definitely showing in the tiger's expression. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  12. I love your take on the storm, and the detail of the tiger's eyes, he does look like he's scared. You show the terror of the impending storm in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete