Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Guardian - Goddess of Cemetary Gates



Photo courtesy of Mary Frances


Who am I,  you ask?  Do you really want to know?
I am the guardian of eternal silence
protector of souls

Who am I, you ask?  I am the gatekeeper to
the mysteries of the hereafter, many
enter through iron hinges of altered-reality but,
 only the living leave hauling hearts of grief

Who am I, you ask? I am goddess of  
eternal rest, on  dark rainy days
listen, the weeping willow cries
mourning for life's losses

Who am I,  you ask?  I am the caretaker
of sacred ground.  As you walk upon
the land be mindful, leave an offering
flowers, prayers and even tears
watering the soils of yesterday

Who am I, you ask?  I am key-holder
of lost dreams and nightmares
locking away pain and sorrow
from the journey of life

Who am I,  you ask?  I am Goddess Guardian
of  Cemetery Gates.  Mediator between
darkness and light...
I am the watchful eyes of
a thousand souls wishing to be free

written for dVerse

22 comments:

  1. Who am I, you ask? I am key-holder
    of lost dreams and nightmares
    locking away pain and sorrow
    from the journey of life

    that's the key verse for me. I love this - it's like a chant, a hymn, an incantation. You capture the slightly unnerving nature of the picture. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. The Goddess wanted her voice heard.

      Delete
  2. The repeated ‘Who am I…?’ guides the reader through the poem well, like footsteps leading us to the answer. I enjoyed all the mystery and the mythological tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim..I too wondered about her story.

      Delete
  3. That fits perfect with the image! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice lines: "Who am I, you ask? I am key-holder
    of lost dreams and nightmares"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank, well hopefully the nightmares will stay locked away.

      Delete
  5. This is incredibly beautiful. Gate-keeper, caretaker, guardian - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As many goddesses she sounds both scary and kind at the same time... she sounds like someone I will only meet when the end is near, and then hopefully she will help me to take farewell of now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, she will guide you safely to the other side.

      Delete
  7. This is excellent True, and the repeating question that opens each stanza not only carries, but builds the impact of the poem as it moves through. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, I wasn't sure about the photo but, I decided to let her speak.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like one better leave a good offering or suffer her wrath haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find this poem immensely comforting as someone who recently lost a close friend of over fifty years. I have no doubt that my friend's soul is free,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fundy, She is not gone just transformed.

      Delete
  10. We definitely need that gatekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! Truly love these words! Thank you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete