Monday, April 25, 2022

O-ka-lee

Bird, Grass, Perched
Courtesy of Pixabay

 I know spring has arrived when I hear the tumbling tune of the Red-winged blackbird.  It starts abruptly with one note then turns into a musical trill.  His song amplifies as I approach the lakeside.  My mind wanders, searching for his noticeable markings of red and yellow on his shiny black wings.  There he is perched high on top of a cattail. Swaying in spring's afternoon breeze. 

His striking presence lets it be known that this territory is carefully watched. His natural instinct to impress a mate nearby.  I smile, spring has arrived in bountiful song. Courtship flutters in the warming sun.

o-ka-lee he sings
serenading his lover
promises of spring

linking with dVerse
Haibun Monday - Birdsongs
hosted by Frank

 

14 comments:

  1. How absolutely lovely. The one note of life and spring and hope I've heard today. It has been a hard one. Your poem is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this fine work was amplified for me this afternoon when, as I finished reading it, I glanced out the window and saw my 1st redwing blackboard of the season. Serendipitous, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You beautifully captured the many promises of spring carried by birdsongs. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful haibun.
    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful moments there, lovely scene..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful write and a beautiful bird! Thank you True for a charming piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't believe we have the ones with such striking marks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written! They are very striking with their red wings against the balck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love red-winged blackbirds:) You don't see them in NC but they were prevalent in the Midwest. Thanks for bringing back the memories;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully captured. Lovely Haiku

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm smiling with you. I used to see red-winged blackbirds at the pond near one of the ball fields in Morningside Park where my daughter played softball. Always a welcome sight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sight, sound, all of it here. from Petru

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds a lot like the behavior of our blackbird

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful, Tru. I can see the whole play before me.

    ReplyDelete