Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Partial Eclipse

Free Moon Astronomy photo and picture
Courtesy of Pixabay

What magical power draws me towards the light
I ponder the magnetic attraction of the full moon
drinking intoxicating potion from a lunar saloon
partial eclipse, shadows,  a sky-watchers delight

In the corners of my mind, I believed in love
wandering lost, looking for an evening escape
you were a story I found in the dreamscape
a partial eclipse of the heart, pieces of love

I think the night is where poetry is created
soaring the heavens trying to touch the stars
it is where lonely dreamers write memoirs
where words don’t need to be translated

wishing under a full moon seems antiquated
how to change the story that once was us
perhaps, just let it rest in the comic dust
from beginning to end it seemed ill-fated

 written for dVerse
hosted by Kim

The poem I would like you write is about the end of something: the end of a season, a relationship, a story, a letter, a journey, a dream, a life, the world, etc

I am not sure which ending it best describes per the prompt.  

author's note:  I sat outside and watched the partial eclipse last night - I have some photos but, the partial was hard to capture but, I did get that glorious harvest moon. 

 

9 comments:

  1. "A partial eclipse of the heart" - a wonderful description. It is hard to lose a magical love. I like "perhaps just let it rest in the cosmic dust".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem is so dreamy, Truedessa, and moves at a lovely slow pace. The partial eclipse is the end of a period of time, and your ending seems to be about the end of a relationship, hence the change of tone at the end. I love that your opening stanza is based on real experience, with an otherworldly hint in ’magical power’. I love the lines: ‘you were a story I found in the dreamscape’.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously that partial eclipse really inspired you. Yes, very dream-like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the nod to Bonnie Tyler's song of a total eclipse of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very well written poem, Truedessa. It is interesting to me that that big lifeless chunk of rock has such romantic affects on people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw that magical full moon this early morning. Love the angst and wish for happier times. The moon is our poet's muse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your beautiful poem reveals how the full moon stirs our longings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truedessa, I love "drinking intoxicating potion from a lunar saloon"

    ReplyDelete
  9. A celebration of endings in this end-of-season harvest moon, crisp with failure and yearning, especially here:

    I think the night is where poetry is created
    soaring the heavens trying to touch the stars
    it is where lonely dreamers write memoirs
    where words don’t need to be translated

    For me its why dreams and poetry are faces from both sides of a lucent mirror ...

    ReplyDelete