Monday, July 20, 2026

On Padded Paws

courtesy of Pixabay Chris 0223

I am the creature who smells your darkest thoughts.  On padded paws in ghostly silence following you into the dreamscape.  You summoned me unwittingly a tracker to travel between the worlds.  The hunt begins, weaving through hidden places where dreams become nightmares.

The night air is stagnant and smoky.  Slowly, stalking the prey that haunts your nights.In the graveyard of decaying dreams and dying roses. Pouncing on shadows of pain and sorrow. Echoes of dirges circulate the air.  

I am a shapeshifter tapping into your inner fears.  Blurring the lines between reality and illusion luring you deeper into the darkness of understanding.  Shedding old beliefs prowling in the labyrinth of duality, praying for  the doorway to light.

linking with  dVerse Prosery Hosted by Merril

For Prosery, your prose—fiction or nonfiction—may be up to 144 words
you must incorporate this given line 

I am the creature who smells your darkest thoughts”
From “Jaguar Song.”

Thank you for reading. 

18 comments:

  1. Very dark and scary. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truedessa, I like how this being has been unwittingly summoned and performs the role of familiar. I hope it will leave if she wishes it to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has the ability to come and go in a shamanic journey of sorts.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very scary nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mystical and dark imagery - perfectly complements your chosen picture too - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very powerful and yes, great imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex, thanks as always for supporting my writing.

      Delete
  6. Scary and beautifully written. Dreamy, nightmarish imagery, too. It's extra scary that this being was summoned by the dreamer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shamanic dreamers often enter dark places

      Delete
  7. AnonymousJuly 21, 2026

    I enjoyed reading about the shapeshifting creature in your Prosery piece, Truedessa, and the way it was summoned – I wrote about a similar creature in my piece too. I love the very brief but very effective setting of scene in ‘The night air is stagnant and smoky’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the wonderful comment. I would like to reciprocate but, I am not sure who anonymous is?

      Delete
  8. Wow, I love this! The padding paws, "pouncing on shadows of pain and sorrow." So mystical. I especially love the lines about the shapeshifter! One of your best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry, somehow, I thought this might intrigue you.

      Delete
  9. Having such a creature around sounds scary to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bjorn, it could indeed be scary.

      Delete