Sunday, March 3, 2019

Forgotten Ways


Standing on the little porch, I smudge myself from head to toe . The sweet grass and sage seem to know which way to go,  shaking off the day's negative energy. I have been carrying a heavy load.  In the shadows a cat meows my eyes intuitively search the darkness for his place of hiding. There is an aura of mystique circulating the air.

I enter the house as,  I have so many times before.  Removing my worn leather moccasins resting them between the Nikes and Sperry's.  I guess,  we all have our own shoes to fill in the journey.  I embrace my hostess in customary hug.  Entering the dimly lit room I select my place within the circle of  friends. Spreading out my blanket, silently asking creator to bring the group a message of healing and hope. 

Circling clockwise, one voice at a time we speak our names letting the vibration of consonants and vowels fill the space between us. Our drums in hand each unique in design. The animals spirits deer, elk and buffalo guide us in our meditation.  Drumming for mindfulness brings clarity and visions.

I quickly slip into another state of consciousness with each thump of the drums .  The room softly fades in the backdrop.  I find myself in a green meadow.  Breathing renewed life, the trees seem to sway to the distant beat.  Sitting in a clearing under skies of blue. The red tailed hawk soars overhead. There is inner peace in this place of my choosing.  My heart wishes to stay but, I hear the big drum calling me back to the fold. A message seems to flash in my head, "remember who you are, caretaker of the earth".  I woke,  pondering the question. Have humans lost their way in a modern world?

sharing with Poets United
hosted by Magaly - A Pantry of Prose 1

I am trying something different, thank you for reading.
This is based on a personal meditation. 
 

11 comments:

  1. There is that hawk again, guiding you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the descriptions, how they go from abstract to concrete and then again... Her comment about the shoes takes us into the vision--I think we've all said something about the idea of inhabiting someone else's shoes. The shift in perspective at the end, the way the narrator separates herself from humankind, makes me wonder where she stands as an individual. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magaly, I decide to change this up a bit. Thanks for the prompt.

      Delete
  3. I love the way it all unfolded, bit by bit. We could all take note of the message received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, I attend meditations and sometimes they can be filled with adventure and wisdom.

      Delete
  4. "Remember who you are, caretaker of the earth." Much of mankind has lost its way, but many are trying to save Mother Earth, are listening to her.....True, this is my favourite of everything you have written. My spirit hungers for just such spiritual sustenance as this. Beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all "caretakers of the earth" I guess, some of us are better at nurturing our environment. Without, clean air and water we as a society will have a difficult time surviving. I know not a pleasant thought. It seems more and more people suffer from upper respiratory infections and asthma related illnesses. One has to wonder why? Could it be the air we breathe?

      I put this back up for you my friend!

      Delete
  5. Very nice, especially the shifts which keep me as reader off balance. Eg. from We in paragraph 3 to You. Eg. From trance to drum circle to maybe bed as the move is from sleep to waking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I revised this a bit from my original offering. A meditation can take one through many stages of consciousness.

      Delete
  6. Lyrical piece, Truedessa! And yes, I think that humans have lost their way in the modern age, especially if you think of their connections to the natural world.

    ReplyDelete