Saturday, April 18, 2020

A Cactus Blooms


Desert, Cactus, Flower, Succulent
courtesy of Pixabay


Entering a small shop in another realm of time
sweet scents of sage and citrus filled the air
listening to harmonious wooden wind chimes
greeted by an elder with long flowing hair

Kites in the shape of wild birds flew nearby
Japanese paper lanterns illuminated the room
a breeze blew in , as if,  to lift them to the sky
candles burned with an intoxicating perfume

A guardian spoke  " what you seek is upstairs"
entering a room,  there was a mysterious spell
I caught three woman in a dream unaware
two were rattlesnakes, all was not well

I awoke, sitting in a wooden chair
before me an ancient shaman drummed
chanting in desolation a reverent prayer
hawk and eagle flew overhead to the hum

out in the desert of life, a cactus blooms
I began to speak in an ancient tongue
the mystery of life, I wished to consume
the veil grew thin, this dream was done

sharing with earthweal
author's notes:  Fragments from a dream
I had last night...thanks for reading 

10 comments:

  1. This dream feels like a visit to a past life experience. I am struck by the grief of the native shaman, for no one knows better how deeply Mother Earth is in trouble. I am also struck by "what you seek is upstairs" - in the realm of higher consciousness. Truth. This is beautiful. I so admire your dreams, which feel touched by prophecy and an ancient wisdom. True, your link at earthweal takes me back to earthweal....can you re-link this amazing poem? One of your finest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You conveyed the dream beautifully, appealing to all the senses! I would love to visit that shop. I’ve had a cactus for years and it has never bloomed – I wish it would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very dreamlike flow, and the images range from startling to calming, trance-like to disturbing. All our dreams are touched with fever these days I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an excellent story told in verse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. That is a dream which would haunt me - and yet it is a lot like life. The familiar, the comforting, the unsettling, the frightening all joining to create a not always harmonious whole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way the poem turns when the rattlesnakes appear! Caveat Emptor!
    JIM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What more can I say, True? "The veil grew thin, this dream was done..."I so like the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful piece … the words: delicately woven … much like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really brought all the tactile senses to the foreground. Superb.

    ReplyDelete