Monday, October 23, 2023

Autumn Shifts

On my daily walk, I take in the view looking for signs of autumn's changing hues.  The shift in color seems to be slower this year.  Perhaps, the warmer weather has thrown mother nature off course.  There are a few yellows and oranges. I think, most of the leaves are just dying,  falling to their death in slow motion.

I notice the heron walking along the water's edge.  I wonder if the bird notices the changing landscape? Maybe, it doesn't care as long as it catches a meal.  Will nature give signs that it is time to migrate? We pass each other in silence as we often do.  I smile, I have named this one "Patience".  He has the ability to stand still on tall stilt legs for the longest time.  I know when the cold wind comes, he will fly away to warmer shores and I will spend more time indoors.

falling autumn leaves
great heron catching a meal
frogs no longer croak

 


Written for dVerse hosted by Frank
writing a haibun about fall

Thank you for reading

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, True. I love herons. They stay here year round as winters are mild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, it seems that autumn is not fully there with you. I think the heron has left now, but i hope he will back in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence, Truedessa! Yesterday, on my afternoon walk, I spotted a heron and tried to take a photo, but it raised its wings and lifted off before I had a chance to take my mobile phone from my pocket! Daily walks are a must. You’re right in saying that the ‘shift in color seems to be slower this year’ and I too think that this summer as thrown mother nature off course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience is a good name for a heron. It sounds like a peaceful walk and quiet peaceful characters. I very much enjoyed your haibun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess herons fly South for the winter.
    Most of our leaves have always just turned brown and fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall is a lovely time but here is just so cold and kinda annoying. Lovely post.
    Thanks for sharing

    Inviting you to check out my new style post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/10/9-fall-mother-of-bride-dress-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane DoughertyOctober 24, 2023

    Noticing the birds that have left is sad. Like the leaves falling. Our herons and egrets stay all year round, but the cranes and geese passing over is the signal for winter to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great heron catching a meal
    frogs no longer croak

    Love your haibun True! Such fun to be able to witness the changes in the season with the added sound elements accompanying it. Hank is feeling good Ma'am though slowing down a bit. Is everything ok with you, too?

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful companion with whom to share foliage season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your haibun. I’ve noticed that here as well, the leaves were either dying off or still green. No happy medium until about a week ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lucky to be in the company of a heron!

    ReplyDelete