Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Lady With A Parrot

Le Pho (1907-2001), Femme au perroquet (Lady with A Parrot) (1938)  

You have returned my feathered friend
on bright wings of marvelous flight
you have seen places I will never see
for I am forbidden to leave the garden
but I know there is beauty beyond the
blue and gold curtain of mystery

Teach me the words you have mastered
I will pronounce them purposefully
syllable by syllable giving honor
to your gift of language

I have gathered the finest seeds to
trade for your seeds of thought

I am hungry for knowledge and my
poetic heart yearns to feed on new
phrases

You are my wings to a higher consciousness
chattering secrets of the unknown

Through you I learn the wisdom of
listening as well as speaking


written for dVerse
hosted my Melissa
writing poetry to selected artwork

Thank you for reading!

Peace & Light

3 comments:

  1. You have given her a way to soar even though bound. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creative response to the painting. Being taught by the bird is a nice touch! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you wrote your poem from the first-person point of view of the lady in the painting, Truedessa, speaking to the bird, and explored her lack of freedom and company, especially in the lines:

    ‘You are my wings to a higher consciousness
    chattering secrets of the unknown

    Through you I learn the wisdom of
    listening as well as speaking’.

    ReplyDelete