Sunday, January 23, 2022

Oh Sweet Robins

As long as there is food available, American Robins may stay north in cold climates. Photo by Chuck Porter via Birdshare.
Photo by Chuck Porter via Birdshare.

 

Oh sweet robins
has your flock lost its way
on this cold winter day

snow blankets the earth
hungry seeking food to eat
to find a bug would be a feat

January air is crisp and cold
open your wings little ones, fly south
for there you can fill you mouth

changing climate causes confusion
altered flight patterns, early arrival
late departures, a matter of survival

Oh sweet robins
I pray you find your way
return with songs on a warm spring day

 

linking with earthweal

 

author's note:  I went for a walk this afternoon
and to my great surprise, I found myself surrounded
by a flock of robins.  They are rarely seen around here
in the winter.  So, I did a google search and occasionally
a nomadic flock can be seen when they are looking
for food.  This poem was birthed on the spot as I
watched them in the trees and searching the ground.

 

6 comments:

  1. How sad to think of birds losing their sense of timing because of climate change. Our world is such a cruel place riht now. Suzanne. Mapping Uncertainty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they have a good food source they will be okay, but that was a large flock. It felt other worldly and I feel there was a message in this sighting. I am a strong believer in these messengers.

      Delete
  2. They are hardy birds and used to snow this time of season. Somehow, they always manage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen a flock of them. It was quite surreal. Usually, by spring the flocks have split as they seek a mate and get territorial. I very rarely see one up here in the winter. I did see a single Robin last year in early March.The problem for them is they munch on worms, bugs and berries which are now hard to find as the earth is hard and covered with snow. They don’t feed on seeds. Hopefully, they find a source of food.

      Delete
  3. Poor hungry birds. Lovely to see so many, but worrisome when you think about the lack of food for them right now.......I cant have a feeder where I live, but when I did I always fed the birds, especially in winter......my sister does and she has a constant huge and varied number of birds at her feeder all day long. The birdsong is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unusual to see so many especially in January. For whatever reason, they seemed to be in a frenzy for food. I wrote this silly poem as that is what I was thinking and feeling.

      Delete