Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Mysterious Sea

Port, Ships, Fishing Boat, Sea, Sky
courtesy of Pixabay

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


It was a warm summer day you could smell the salt air wafting towards port. Tourists
lined the docks adventures stirring in their souls.  Sightseeing the name of the game.
Whales and dolphins can be seen for a price.  Carefully, read the fine print, it clearly
states no guarantees and absolutely no refunds.  Walking up the plank with a dream
in their hearts. The thrill of an up close encounter with the largest mammal of the sea.

Nearby, charter boats offer deep sea fishing adventures. Claiming you can even reel
in a blue shark.  Anglers load the vessels with hopes of hooking the catch of the day.
Pausing, I contemplated the contrast between the two groups.  There were those who
wished to observe the beautiful creatures and those that wished to conquer the
creatures of the sea.

mysterious sea
lashing tails and biting teeth
sharks avoid the hook

linking with earthweal

hosted by Sherry - writing shark poetry

 A couple of years ago I was in Rhode Island and contemplated taking one of those whale
watching tours.  Nearby, there were charter fishing boats promising big catches such as sharks. I never did go as the water was choppy that summer day.  I am not sure how the sea-travelers made out but,  I hope the sharks found deeper waters that day.

 

5 comments:

  1. You took me along with you. It was a whale watching tour that made me know i had to move to Tofino. I have been out there a few times when "friendlies" came close to the boat. I was on a zodiac with the engine off. There are regulations to stay at a distance but sometimes the whales came close. Biggest thrill of my life. Lovely to see you linking at earthweal, True.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a good metaphor for much of human behavior. To be part of something or to destroy. Although I admit I'm ambivalent about turning the natural world into a tourist attraction as well. (K)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure is a way about life as it seeks to live and destroy all at the same time. Can be true for many a species, or even bacteria or disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that contrast of what the boats offered! Well penned - I would certainly be on the whale watching trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a shame how some people have so little respect for nature. Your respect for nature sings through your words in this beautifully-crafted haibun.

    ReplyDelete