Thursday, November 17, 2022

If I Must Go

Courtesy of Pixabay

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My days are numbered
I am an X of a tree
in my final hours, I
contemplate my destiny

If, I must go
may, I become a cradle or crib
a place for a new born to sleep
and dream within my limbs

If, I must go
may, I become a flute or wind-chime
allowing my voice to still be heard
blowing in the breeze

If, I must go
may, I become a flowery birdhouse
a  place for nesting in the spring
allowing me to hear sparrow songs

If, I must go
may, I become a canoe or paddle
traveling lakes and rivers enjoying
the beauty of nature

If, I  must go
may, I become a paperback novel
or a book of poetry filled with words
from the heart, dedicated to the tongues
of falling trees

If, I  must go
may, you be reminded, that without
trees,  life cannot survive, my dying wish
is for you to plant a seed in remembrance
of me.

linking with earthweal
hosted by Sherry - The Tongues of Falling Trees

author's note: The sign of the X on a tree signifies
the tree will be cut down around here.  So many
have their days numbered or no longer stand tall.

When will we learn to take only what is truly needed
and leave the rest to grow creating balance?

10 comments:

  1. It looks like we never will learn, sadly. The horrifying thing is our old growth trees here in BC do not become locally manufactured items, which would at least provide employment. Some of it becomes WOOD CHIPS. Most is sent overseas. An insane situation, and criminally irresponsible of governments to allow this. Your poem is beautiful. I loved picturing all of thebeautiful things that might be created from a tree. Here, one of the Tla-o-qui-aht men carves beautiful huge wooden canoes, completely carved from a single tree, as in the days of his ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, that is sad about the old growth being cut down. Some of it wood chips. Yikes. That is indeed insane. I love that the ancient art of canoe making is still practiced. I would love to paddle in such a canoe. Oh what a story that tree could sing.

      Delete
  2. The only hope lies in the planting of seeds - but how long they take to grow! I remember a beautiful avenue of trees being ruined in my childhood, and they still haven't been replaced. A beautiful lyric poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize it takes a long time to grow a tree but, it is better to keep planting for future generations.

      Delete
  3. That was beautiful. A forest will be planted for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, that is the sweetest thing to say! I'm going all weeping willow.

      Delete
  4. A moving lament for the Xs sung in all the harmonies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hymn of grief for all that was and could be.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh. This is so moving. It may be my favorite.

    ReplyDelete