Sunday, September 1, 2019

199 Steps



It was a hot summer day vacationing on the small cape.  She
had seen the lighthouse from a distance and it seemed to
beckon her to the shoreline.  She had heard talk in town that
the lighthouse was haunted.  Gathering her things in her car
she thought,  how bad could it be in daylight?

She drove down the winding road, the trees seemed to whisper
'beware" to her listening ears.  Cautiously, she drove down Lighthouse
Road.  Her heart beating in anticipation.  What would she find
within those stone walls?

Purchasing her ticket she is briefly filled in on the lighthouse's history.
Quickly,  she starts ascending the spiral staircase of 199 steps.
Each landing a welcomed reprieve.

Reaching the lighthouse room she senses a dreary darkness.  Does no
one notice the chill in the room on a hot sunny day?  A cold breath
brushes against her neck, chills run down her spine. The black crows
screeching below become audible over the crashing waves.  Should she
be fearful as spirits hover near?

Descending the spiraling staircase, invisible iron clad hands stretch out
beyond the grave, grabbing her ankles holding her in place.  Legs trembling
with terror, why won't they let go?  Her breathing is tense, pulse rapid
each step agonizing.  What story do these residents have to be told?
Is she the only one who feels them? 

Gasping for air, standing on the final landing,  she searches upward desperately
struggling for answers. A shadowy  figure  hovers near the window port above
and she  hears the cries of a small child. 

Quickly, sprinting to her car, desperate to get far away from this place. It
looks like rain,  ominous clouds roll in.  She hurriedly drives back towards town
but,  somehow makes a wrong turn, finding herself back on Lighthouse Road. The first bolt of lightning strikes to the  groan of thunder.

Poets United - Telling Tales with Magaly

I may have broken a rule as it is based on a true story.

32 comments:

  1. I don't scare easily, but there is something about hands grabbing struggling ankles that always chills my spine. And goodness... to have nature add her thundering atmosphere to the thing, and that kid! Few things are as creepy as a phantasmagorical child.

    P.S. You aren't the only one breaking the rules. I fictionalized a real experience, so did Sherry, and I suspect others might've done the same. After the fact, I was telling Sherry that I should've said "Gothic Story" instead of "Gothic Fiction". I will remember this for my future prompts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Magaly, I am glad it was okay to break the rules as this adventure spoke to me. It's one I will never forget.

      Delete
  2. Wow, well written and scary, True. The hands grasping the ankles especially. I have felt that cold chill up my spine, knowing a spirit was right behind me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, those spirits are lurking and some of us can truly feel their presence.

      Delete
  3. This must have been pretty hard and challenging.
    I enjoyed reading it but oh ....that was heavy...
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2019/09/tulip-bistro-in-abuja-nigeria.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it pays to break the rules..i love the title and the way it reveals itself in the story - and certainly spooky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jae Rose, I guess it does at times especially when the muse wants to speak. It was indeed spooky.

      Delete
  5. The first thing that intrigued me was the odd number of steps – 199? – and then the lighthouse – I love them, especially haunted ones. I like the way you built the story up, gradually approaching the lighthouse, and the oxymoron of dreary darkness in a room where there is usually light intended to save people. The ending is brilliant – will she ever escape Lighthouse Road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a love for lighthouses and whenever I vacation I try to make my way to one in the area. This particular one was very unique.

      Delete
  6. Sure a haunting one indeed. Feeling those near or upon you would send chills up any spine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it did Pat and the scariest part was trying to descend. Each step forward was indeed trying as there was a force that
      didn't want to let go.

      Delete
  7. Very chilling especially if it really happened to you. Hope you didn't go in a second time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed chilling and let's say that was the quickest 3 point turn ever as, the storm loomed in rear view mirror.

      Delete
  8. Great story especially the panic trying to get away at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was definitely a sense of panic.

      Delete
  9. I love the "wrong turn" at the end that takes you right back where you don't want to be. Was it accidental or is some force guiding your return. Those cold spots really make one shiver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder if it was accidental or some other unknown force that lead to that road once again.

      Delete
  10. This gave me chills Truedessa! Such a frightening tale, and the fact that it is from a true story adds to the terror! I love the ending so haunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, the makings of a true paranormal experience.

      Delete
  11. Oh I definitely believe there are some places that just spew bad vibes. You conveyed the creepiness of the event well in the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rommy, I agree sometimes you just pick up something is not quite right.

      Delete
  12. Oh boy! This is spooky! And the fact that it’s a true story is even more macabre. Well penned!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those iron.clad hands are so terrifying... reminds of a terrifying children's story from my childhood (the evil knight Kato in Mio, My Son)... but even more terrifying is that wrong turn in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bjorn, I will have to look up that story.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Who knows what would have happened next?

      Delete
  15. That ending was chilling! I love the way you draw up the panic by keeping it so tight to the character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a fun visit. Did you ever figure out about that cold breath or have you decided it was your imagination? I've been in a few lighthouses and they are places that start the Imagination going. Now I couldn't make the 188 steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I am sure it was more than my imagination. I normally enjoy exploring old lighthouses but, this one was unique.

      Delete