Monday, June 15, 2020

A Thousand Buffalo Feet


Buffalo, Oklahoma, Bison, American, Wild
Courtesy of Pixabay














My heart weary
I sit by the riverside
drum in hand, trying
to catch a pulse

It starts out slow
an unsteady beat

building up momentum
a thousand buffalo feet

clouds lift revealing
blue sky an eagle
flies above

I begin to feel
alive....



linking with dVerse
writing a quadrille using 44 words
incorporating the word "drum"
hosted my Mish  

author's note:  I play a Native American
hoop drum made of buffalo hide. Sometimes,
it seems to have a voice of it's own thundering
hooves of a herd of  buffalo.  It has been an honor
to sit in a circle of drummers to welcome
dreams and the solstice. This year it will be
done remotely.

drums, beats and dreams...

13 comments:

  1. Nicely done representation of music evoking nature, as well as nature inspiring music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, drums and buffalo feet. How wonderful! I loved this. Maybe this will be the year i have a drum of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely stunning in its rendition 💝

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the clouds lift to the beating of the drum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Truedessa - wonderful poem ... and yes you evoke those thundering feet. How very fortunate you are to own and be able to play such an interesting instrument ... I can imagine it'll make the right sounds. Sorry it's remote this year - but the wheels of life will turn again ... take care and enjoy what you can do - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of catching a pulse and letting fly with a thousand buffalo feet! Your drum sounds magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You connected with nature and the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous illustration through your words. Your drum does have a voice...as I've been taught. What an honour to be part of a drumming circle. Would love to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew the word would speak to you... I would love to hear a recording of your drum... I might join you, I have a small African drum I got as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading your poem as it goes from lifeless to full of life made my scalp tingle. There is a calling in the drums, calling to the ancestors...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your words build up momentum along with the drums.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luv the contrast of depths of drum beats raising spirits as light as clouds above

    Thank you for dropping by to read mine

    Much🏞love

    ReplyDelete
  13. This builds so well throughout. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete