Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Standing Stones - Thor's Gate

Thor's Gate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Aye, the calling is a gentle whisper
come dance on the mystic trails
let your imagination weave a tale
rugged land of hidden unknowns
through the tall standing stones

there is a sense of enchantment
wandering off on a melodic tangent
scattered are twigs and pine cones
through the tall standing stones

the piper plays of love and thunder
in the belly of the woods lies wonder
the throwing of trinkets and bones
through the tall standing stones

my heart swelling with each step
pebbles and rocks all have depths
on this quest, I must walk alone
through the tall standing stones
aye, the calling is a gentle whisper 

dVerse Poets Pub - Poetics 
hosted by Dora - The prompt

She wants us to write a poem featuring, if not centering, on rock or stone.

I visited Columcille Megalith Park a few years back and the prompt reminded me of this place. There are over 90 stone settings.  The photo above was taken by myself.  It's called Thor's Gate.

check it out here Columcille Megalith Park 

27 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Isn't imagination a wonderful thing? I love your fascinating stories buried in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dwight, the imagination is indeed a wonderful thing. Thank you for seeing multiple stories.

      Delete
  2. I felt that "sense of enchantment" as I read this, True, and through your words could easily imagine the mystic power that these immense stones hold. The repetitions draws us into this space, I think, inviting the emotions you so beautifully evoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moment I stepped on this land I could feel the power of something special ahead.

      Delete
  3. "The calling is a gentle whisper" beautiful thought! Awesome poem, much love 💚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The calling to walk amongst the giant stones and step into a dream.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jay - may you hear the calling of your dreams.

      Delete
  5. Yes - the journey must be taken alone - I love the myth and mystery - Jae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the life journey is one we all walk parts of alone as it is the journey to self discovery.

      Delete
  6. An amazing place to visit, Truedessa, and the photo of Thor’s Gate shows it in all it stony glory. The lines ‘rugged land of hidden unknowns through the tall standing stones’ made me think of Outlander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was an amazing place to visit. I had no idea what to expect with each trail that I wandered on. It is a mystical place that was built on the basis of the founder's dream. I love that....

      Delete
  7. That would be a really cool place to wander.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing place to spend a day. So many wonderful places to sit and contemplate. I think you would like the tiny cathedral that was built on the land.

      Delete
  8. Now I want to go on a road trip and see it for myself! Lovely prose. I was thinking this had to be in the UK due to the greenness, but I lived close to there for a year and a half, and the ALWAY RAINING, ALWAYS OVERCAST nature of that region would definitely produce the same look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal, so kind of you to visit. This place in nestled in the Poconos Mountains in Pennsylvania. It was a hot humid summer day when I visited with a misty veil that seemed to envelope the landscape. It certainly added to the mystical feel of the land and the dream. I actually had a dream calling me to visit this place. I had to listen to the whisper and take a road trip.

      Delete
  9. I must walk alone
    through the tall standing stones

    Love the above insistence, True! There is no way to expect others readily come to our rescue, We look after ourselves for survival when it matters!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hank, Sometimes in life one must walk alone. Wise words my friend.

      Delete
    2. Yes Ma'am, only then we can focus and think well!

      Delete
  10. The call of the standing stones is strong and mystical. I am always moved by the sense of history held in standing stones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do have a mystical aura around them. You might remember these from Brendan's poems about his father's land.

      Delete
  11. The way those stones are raised makes me wonder so much of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truedessa, the repeated refrain feels like a call. I was going to ask you how you went there and saw your comment about dreaming to go to it. Did you know that Brendan's dad and I think he and his brother helped build these structures? I'm on a mailing list for the place. After reading your poem it makes me want to check it out. Did not realize the place was in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, yes I have read about Brendan's father's place on Earthwheel. I had a dream that was calling me to walk upon the land and so I did. It was a magical adventure for me and one I will never forget. He did indeed help build that place with his father. A dream called his father as well, if I remember correctly. We would need Brendan to confirm.

      Delete
  13. What a poem, what a melody. Luv how tge repeating line worked so well

    Much love

    ReplyDelete